Recreational Vehicle Insurance 101 - What You Need to Know

Monday, 25 October 2021 14:42

From motorhomes to pop-up campers, there are tons of recreational vehicles on the road today. And just like your car or motorcycle, your RV will need to be insured as well. But what exactly does RV insurance cover? How much coverage do you need for your RV? Today, we'll break down everything you need to know about recreational vehicle insurance in Denver.

But before we dive in, let's clarify what qualifies as a recreational vehicle. Whether you lease, rent, or buy, recreational vehicles break down into 3 major categories:

  • Class A RVs - Often known as motorhomes, these are the largest type of recreational vehicles. Class A RVs often have the appearance of a large bus and have many impressive features.
  • Class B RVs - These RVs, sometimes called campervans, are smaller and less luxurious than Class A vehicles. These vehicles typically have raised roofs and have sliding side doors, similar to a van.
  • Class C RVs - Typically these RVs are built on a truck or a van chassis. These RVs have raised roofs that extend over the cab of the vehicle, which is used for sleeping or storage.

Lastly, there are also towable trailers that don't fit into these categories (pop-up trailer, travel trailer, etc.).

Your Guide to Recreational Vehicle Insurance in Denver

Across almost every U.S. state, you are required by law to carry liability coverage for your RV at a minimum (The Balance). If you drive your recreational vehicle without coverage, you may be subject to fines or even jail time.

That's why it's so important that you ensure your RV has the appropriate coverage.

What Does RV Insurance Cover?

RV policies usually cover the same incidents as auto insurance policies. As we just mentioned, RV owners are only required to carry standard liability insurance. That will cover injuries or instances of property damage to others when operating your RV. In addition, your RV policy can cover many other things, such as:

  • Collision coverage - To help pay for physical damage to your own RV in an accident.
  • Comprehensive coverage - To cover losses and damages to your RV that are not collision-related (natural disasters, theft, vandalism, etc.).
  • Contents insurance - Also called "personal effect" insurance, this add-on covers any personal belongings you have on board.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage - To cover damages if the other driver in an accident is not insured.
  • Campsite and vacation liability coverage - To protect against liability if someone is injured in or near your RV while it is parked.

Does Coverage Differ for Each Recreational Vehicle?

Class A, Class B, and Class C RVs all have similar insurance requirements. More specifically, you need to carry at least a minimum amount of liability and personal injury coverage for most RVs.

That said, tow-behind campers and trailers are not legally required to be insured. You'll want to check with your insurance agent to check if your trailer needs coverage.

However, coverage is often optional if your RV is only towable (not drivable). The liability coverage of your auto policy will often extend to your towable RV.

How Much Coverage Is Required in Colorado?

In Colorado, the coverage requirements for RV insurance are the same as the state's minimum auto liability requirements: 25/50/15. This means you need:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 total for bodily injury per accident
  • And $15,000 for property damage per accident

How Much Does RV Insurance Cost?

This is a common question that we hear all the time. Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer for it. Multiple factors will influence the cost of your policy, such as:

  • The class of your RV
  • The total size of your vehicle
  • How you use the vehicle (miles driven per year, vehicle residency, etc.)
  • The types of coverage you purchase
  • Where you'll be traveling in your RV
  • Your driving record (prior speeding tickets, traffic violations, etc.)
  • The age of your vehicle
  • And more

Request Your Quote for Recreational Vehicle Insurance in Denver

From family camping trips to solo journeys, your recreational vehicle will help you make the most of the great outdoors. And if you're looking for reliable RV insurance in Denver, you've come to the right place.

At Adler Insurance Group, we will craft a custom policy that will effectively fit your insurance needs. Our agents will work closely with you to ensure that your coverage is exactly what you need at the most affordable price point. And you'll always have peace of mind knowing that you can reach our insurance agents whenever you need, day or night.

Contact Adler Insurance today to get your accurate quote for recreational vehicle insurance in Denver.